Cancer patients undergo a lot of body changes due to consistent chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and Radiotherapy sessions. While it is essential to make a list of the prescribed medications, visit the doctor timely for follow-ups, and maintain a healthy diet, there is a lot that you can do at home. To begin with, the grocery list needs immediate attention. The grocery store provides you with racks after racks of food items. But you must decide to be a smart buyer and invest in precisely what the body needs to recover faster. Continue reading ahead to find a customized grocery list for all types of cancer.
Does healthy diet play an important role in cancer recovery?
Your body represents what you eat. Even the best cancer treatment can deplete your body’s nutrients and energy. Thus, a proper diet will help you to replenish your body with essential vitamins. It will not only give you strength for faster recovery, but also help to heal wounds faster, fight many side effects, and maintain healthy body weight. For the uninitiated, Cancer Treatment can lead to drastic weight loss. While you must focus on the nutritional value label of all products, please make a note of the following pointers when you next head to the grocery store.
Let’s first discuss the fruits and vegetable section in diet.
Fruits and vegetables are abundant in countless nutrients and vitamins. Thus, you must first pay attention to it. Some factors to consider are:
- Seasonal items: You should pick seasonal fruits and vegetables as the year progresses. For example, summer calls for mango.
- Anti-cancer food: You must pick deep pigmented fruits such as berries, melons, carrot, beetroot, cruciferous vegetables and dark leafy veggies.
- Damaged items: You must avoid any dented fruits and vegetables. Even if they look stale, leave them back in the rack. When exposed to air for a significant time, fruits and vegetables may lose their nutrients. Thus, you should pick something fresh for healthy diet.
- Organic: Try to buy organic fruits and vegetables. If you find them too expensive, then ensure that you wash the regular items properly before consumption.
Say no to meat
Cancer treatment providers often say that one must avoid meat because it can lead to problems such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- Dairy alternatives: Always ensure to buy organic, almond, or soy milk dairy products from the grocery store. They are worth the price for healthy diet.
- Yogurt choices: Choose a low-fat yogurt. Also, note that Greek yogurt is the right choice because it is high on proteins.
How about the frozen section?
- Avoid processed food: Try to avoid packed food because they have a lot of preservatives. Do not buy frozen dishes or ready to eat meals. You must always focus on fresh food instead of packed food.
- Flash-frozen: If you are heading to the frozen section, then ensure that you choose flash-frozen pre-chopped vegetables. They tend to remain fresh for longer.
What to pick from the other aisles?
While the pointers stated above are incredibly crucial, there are several other things to do and not do at the grocery store. Continue reading to get a full list.
- It would be best if you avoided soda at all costs. Do not have sugary drinks sold in the market. Instead of buying those, you must buy fresh fruits and have fresh fruit juice at home daily. Avoid more chemicals at this stage.
- Bread is an integral part of the everyday diet. But, it would help if you did not buy flour bread because that is very low on nutritive value. On the contrary, you must choose multigrain bread that is healthier.
- Remember to buy different seasonings such as mixed herbs, salad dressing, sauces, oregano, chili flakes, and more. They make your food tastier and help to gain back your appetite. Experiment with online recipes and give a new meaning to your life.
- Always focus on healthy recipes. This means that you must buy millets, organic pulses, and likewise. These are healthy diet options that help the body with several nutrients.
This is a pocket-size guide on how to maintain a healthy diet when you are going shopping to fight cancer. With these things in mind, there is no way that you can go wrong with your grocery shopping. Buying weekly or monthly groceries is a significant challenge when you are unsure of what to pick.
Cancer is a challenging disease that can be fought with happiness and positivity. Food is one of the most significant sources of joy in our lives. Thus, keep eating healthy and enjoy each day as it comes.