Breast cancer is the most common cancer which is diagnosed in Indian women living in urban areas. While the women living in rural areas are also likely affected by the disease and it is found that Breast Cancer is the second most common disease in Indian women from rural areas. Although there are lower cases of Breast Cancer the numbers are rising rapidly and so are Breast Cancer side effects after treatment.
Mastectomy is a surgical procedure in which the whole of the breast or both breasts are removed. It is the most prevalent form of surgery for Breast Cancer. But with the various researches in medical sciences, now we have advanced techniques to cure Breast Cancer. It just takes two to three hours to complete this surgery. But that is enough to compensate for a short trip of hell. These treatments are named as quadrantectomy and lumpectomy. But, the center of attention for this article is Mastectomy. So, it will be discussed in detail.
With a survival rate of 66.6% of Breast Cancer in India, effective cancer treatment becomes a necessity. But, apart from the surgery itself the aftermaths of the surgery too are challenging. As side effects in Breast Cancer treatments are seen frequently, So, to aid people there are various complementary therapies that not only provide support to the patient to prepare for the Surgery but also help to deal with the recuperation process.
After Mastectomy even small things matter
The disheveled being you had been for the past few weeks or months will now start getting back on the right track of life. Whatever felt like earth-shattering tremors will feel like slight shakes. Your body will try to cope with the strange sensations running through your body. So, having a strong will to live and living happily should be your ultimate notion. To achieve that, few things should be followed:
- Do not overlook pain, if you experience pain more than usual, consult your doctor immediately.
- Keep the routine exercise going on.
- Since all the rest you had after surgery, your body stamina will decrease, and you will feel the deficit of energy, therefore, have a proper diet.
- Be very observant of all the side effects of cancer treatment.
- You can buy a camisole with pockets to carry your drains. The camisoles are a significant part. You will have to wear them until the drains are removed.
- While taking a shower you can use a belt made of cloth having pockets.
- While riding in a vehicle, you can use a pad so that the drains do not cause irritation.
All these products can be easily bought from pharmacies or from online websites.
Recovery is mental and physical, as well. Therefore it will take time. Physical scars will be healed eventually, but the mental ones depend on how strongly you handle the whole situation. Patients can also choose integrative oncology which provides complete assistance in all phases of Cancer Treatment.
Scientifically the recovery time would be around three to four weeks, but it is entirely dependent upon the patient’s convenience. There are certain things to keep in mind while recovering which are
- The proper amount of rest
- Time to time meditation
- Maintain cleanliness to avoid infection
- Take your account off the whole situation
- Exercise every day as directed by the doctors
Early detection of Breast Cancer is necessary for surgical treatment to be employed. So, the procedure can be initiated before the cancerous cells replicate and double in number. With the hectic lifestyle, we rarely get time for medical checkups. Most of us do not even know our family medical history. Therefore, it is advised to all the women out there, healthy or not, do not overlook any pain or any such minor problem, which would turn out to be monstrous in the future. Take some time off for yourself. You deserve it.