Wheatgrass, in simple terms, is prepared from the freshly sprouted leaves of the traditional wheat plant called Triticum aestivum. Wheatgrass is thick in size and dry in appearance. It plays a fundamental role in the field of medicine and comprises a plethora of health benefits. In recent years, Wheatgrass has become popular as it helps prevent diseases, increase metabolic energy, and lower oxidative Stress.
Wheatgrass can be consumed in the form of tablets, powders, juice, or even freshly. Wheatgrass is a medicinal plant beneficial for several components such as anti-inflammation and antioxidants, Cancer Treatment and prevention, and combating infections.
Role of Wheatgrass:
Consuming the juice from Wheatgrass’s leaves plays a chief role in preventing decay of teeth, lowering high blood level, reducing arthritis pain, treating a common cold, and chronic Nausea syndrome. Moreover, Wheatgrass is surprisingly becoming known for its therapeutic benefits against AIDS and cancer.
Wheatgrass has a healthy amount of chlorophyll content that has similar molecules as that of the human body. Wheatgrass thus helps in maintaining the content of hemoglobin in the blood. However, Wheatgrass hasn’t been clinically proven for the above components.
Cancer and Wheatgrass:
Wheatgrass is high in antioxidants, and as such, a few test-tube studies have found that it may help kill cancer cells
- One test-tube test found that Wheatgrass extract was able to decrease the spread of mouth cancer cells by 41%. Yet another one observed up to 65% cell death and reduced Leukemia cells within three days of treatment with Wheatgrass.
- Some research suggests that Wheatgrass juice, when combined with traditional cancer treatment, may help reduce the adverse effects of the treatment. In one study, 60 Breast Cancer patients were observed to have reduced risk of functional impairment of bone marrow following their Chemotherapy after having consumed Wheatgrass juice.
However, there exists no evidence of wheatgrass’s potential anti-cancer effects in the human body.
Uses of Wheatgrass:
- Treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Most of the cancer treatments have several side effects like nausea, feeling of vomiting, lack of appetite, etc. Many doctors suggest using Wheatgrass for treating Fatigue and Nausea syndrome while patients undergo cancer treatments. However, Wheatgrass has no potential proof of treating chronic Fatigue syndrome whatsoever.
- Cancer Treatment: Wheatgrass is an Ayurvedic and natural therapeutic plant used for treating several types of cancers and their symptoms such as Breast Cancer symptoms, Lung Cancer symptoms, etc. However, no clinical tests suggest that Wheatgrass can treat cancer.
- Improving your immune system– According to a recent study, Wheatgrass plays a vital role in reducing the feeling of Fatigue and diverse infections in cancer patients who are undergoing Chemotherapy. However, some patients experienced Nausea after consuming Wheatgrass. An in-depth study can help analyze the benefits and setbacks of Wheatgrass.
Side-effects of Wheatgrass:
Until now, only a few side-effects have been identified, caused by Wheatgrass. Trouble while swallowing the extracted juice, and Nausea are the most common side-effects of Wheatgrass. Since the leaves and sprouts of Wheatgrass are grown for about 10 days, Wheatgrass juice can get contaminated. Wheatgrass juice is also not recommended for people with renal disorders (chronic kidney disease) due to its high potassium content.
Additional Benefits of Wheatgrass during cancer treatment:
- Wheatgrass helps to detoxify your body: Wheatgrass helps in toxins elimination and, thus, plays an imperative role in eliminating impurities from the body, especially if a patient is undergoing Chemotherapy sessions.
- Wheatgrass is beneficial for proper digestion of food: Not only is Wheatgrass medically beneficial for treating Cancer Treatment side effects to a certain extent, but it is also helpful for the simplified digestion of food. Wheatgrass comprises enzymes that help to absorb nutrients and break down the food with ease.
- Wheatgrass is a superfood: Wheatgrass comprises a rich nutritional value and has an array of therapeutic properties, which would be beneficial for anyone who is trying to maintain a healthy diet during integrative Cancer Treatment. Wheatgrass is made of nutritious minerals and vitamins due to which it is an excellent source for improving your overall health. Antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties are added benefits of Wheatgrass. It contains several components such as calcium, iron, magnesium, enzymes, 17 amino acids, chlorophyll, phytonutrients, and vitamins A, C, E, K, and B Complex.
- Boosts your overall energy: Wheatgrass helps eliminate harmful toxins from your body, along with boosting your energy to feel rejuvenated and active. If cancer treatments take a toll on the body, one can take the help of this ayurvedic plant.
- Boosts your metabolism: Wheatgrass juice is highly beneficial for enhancing your metabolism during Cancer Treatment. Moreover, Wheatgrass does not carry any calories and is thus an essential food for reducing food cravings.
- Helps decrease blood pressure: Consuming a specific amount of Wheatgrass can help enhance the blood cell count. Therefore, Wheatgrass helps to purify and normalize your blood circulation, thus helping in stable Chemotherapy sessions.
Wheatgrass is one of the beneficial natural remedies for treating cancer symptoms. Moreover, Wheatgrass plays a vital role in alleviating inflammation and boosting immunity, thereby, helping with cancer recovery. Additionally, it may also aid in reducing the side effects of cancer treatments. However, experts have insufficient insights on the efficiency of Wheatgrass in aiding with Cancer Treatment. Thus, it is best advised to consult doctors before making use of Wheatgrass.