Aloe is a medicinal plant used by many people for treating the side effects of cancer treatments like chemotherapy, for its therapeutic purposes. There is limited evidence of Aloe’s reliability as a form of cure by itself for treating Cancer Treatment side effects. However, most people are asked to use this therapy for treating skin undergoing Radiotherapy. Oncologists do believe that using Aloe Vera may cause hazardous side effects and is best advised to be used after a proper consultation.
What is Aloe?
Aloe, in simple terms, is a plant, also known as Aloe vera, contains fleshy leaves like those of cactus. These fleshy leaves provide a thin clear gel that is used for several purposes ranging from treating sunburns and cuts to treating superficial burns. Aloe’s gel has softening features and is used in a plethora of skin products such as exfoliators, moisturizers, and face washes. Drinking fresh aloe juice is an added benefit for treating skin problems. According to experts, Aloe hinders thromboxane’s formation, a molecule which restricts healing of burn wounds, and thus acts as an anti-inflammatory medicine.
Role of Aloe for treating cancer side effects:
Although experts haven’t identified scientific proof for treating cancer with Aloe, it is used by a lot of patients for other purposes. The riskiest component of Aloe is that it can cause a lot of severe side effects with prolonged and unsupervised use. Since Aloe has been verified for treating burns and similar skin problems, many people use it to soothe the severe burns caused by Radiotherapy. However, according to a study in 2017, aloe wasn’t very effective in treating cancer symptoms.
Side effects of using Aloe:
Although using Aloe Vera on your skin and hair for considerably small skin problems is safe, it does come with hazardous side effects. Doctors believe that consuming Aloe Vera excessively in the form of capsules or liquid can cause severe issues such as:
- Stomach Pain.
- Low potassium levels in blood
- Blood clotting.
Aloe Vera and its products are said to be powerful and have potential laxatives. Due to this, they unquestionably cause a chemical imbalance when you suffer from Diarrhea. It is best advised to avoid taking high doses of Aloe Vera.
Note: Aloe Vera can unquestionably produce harsh side-effects, along with interacting with risky drugs. Consulting with your doctor is highly recommended.
Different uses of Aloe Vera:
- Aloe is commonly made use of as a means of topical anesthetic. Although this hasn’t been tested in any clinical trials, laboratory shreds of evidence are supporting this use.
- Aloe Vera plays a fundamental role in treating and healing minor burns. Scientific evidence backs this statement.
- Aloe is used for preventing and healing rashes, redness, and pruritus of Radiotherapy. Clinical trials were tested recently, which debate whether it is hazardous or safe for use.
- Most people and skincare experts make use of Aloe Vera for making exfoliators and moisturizers even though there is no scientific proof of its reliability.
- Aloe Vera plays a crucial role in treating inflammation caused by eczema, cold sores, and pruritus.
- Many doctors make use of Aloe for cancer even though there is no scientific proof. Acemannan is a small substance extracted from Aloe Vera used in cancer injections. However, according to the study, this substance has resulted in the death of many patients.
- Aloe is also traditionally used for treating diabetes. According to tested clinical trials, Aloe helps in reducing the glucose levels of the blood.
- Aloe is also commonly used for treating ulcerative colitis. There is limited information supporting this statement and, thus, it is best advised to study more about it.
Is Aloe safe to use?
Aloe is generally reliable for treating minor burns. However, long-term use of Aloe can result in severe adverse effects.
- Aloe’s topical administration is said to be safe. Nevertheless, oral consumption of Aloe Vera can result in gastrointestinal problems, along with electrolyte abnormalities.
- Avoid making use of Aloe Vera inappropriately to reduce potential threats to your body. It can result in acute hepatitis, perioperative bleeding, and thyroid dysfunction.
- According to research, a patient experienced hypokalemia while using Aloe for treating side effects of Chemotherapy and Immunotherapy.
- Three patients suffered from hepatitis on the use of Aloe. However, the liver functioning became stable after discontinuing Aloe.
- Animals can become victims of cancer if exposed to Aloe for a long time.
- Aloe is said to have positive re-exposure symptoms. Aloe is a potential threat to the liver and can cause several liver injuries.
To summarise, cancer is undeniably a deadly disease, due to which, you might be stubborn to try different methods for curing it. However, using Aloe Vera as a form of Cancer Treatment can be potentially dangerous for your health. Continuing your Cancer Treatment rather than opting for alternatives like Aloe therapy is best recommended. Most reputed scientific cancer organizations do not support the use of Aloe for cancer treatments and, thus, you should consult your doctor without fail before making any decision.