Naturopathy is based on the belief that good health depends on the balance between the mind, body and spirit, and that the body can heal itself through nutrition and lifestyle changes. Naturopathy is based on six principles: the healing power of nature; identify and treat the causes; first do no harm; doctor as teacher; treat the whole person; and focus on prevention.
What to expect
After taking a case history, a naturopath may suggest a combination of diet changes, various forms of massage or exercise, and herbal or nutritional remedies.
Evidence of Naturopathy
Some aspects of naturopathy, such as massage and nutrition (excluding extreme dietary practices), have good clinical evidence for people with cancer. Other aspects of Naturopathy have mixed levels of evidence.
Types of naturopathic treatment
There are many naturopathic treatments available. These are some of the most common:
- Dietary supplements can help reduce side effects and improve overall wellness so you can endure conventional treatments better.
- Botanical medicine sometimes called herbal medicine can also help reduce side effects.
- Homeopathic remedies use small doses of natural substances for recovery after surgery, nausea, constipation, Diarrhea and hot flashes.
- Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese practice in which needles stimulate specific areas of the skin to promote natural healing for pain, nausea, hot flashes and Peripheral Neuropathy.
- Hydrotherapy stimulates your immune system with water to decrease inflammation.
- Environmental medicine includes lifestyle recommendations and therapies that decrease the harmful effects of toxins in your environment and food supply.
- Health education and lifestyle counseling offer valuable guidance and counseling on healthy living, quitting smoking and the benefits of exercise.
Advantages of Naturopathy
Natural cancer treatments can lessen chemotherapy adverse effects, boost immune system function, and manage weight. Additionally, when receiving cancer treatment, naturopathic principles and practices can regulate digestion and metabolism and lessen side symptoms including nausea and fatigue. Naturopathic doctors have expertise in a variety of techniques for enhancing mental, general health, including counselling, biofeedback, stress management.