Dr. Senthil Kumar
4 years of overall experience
M.B.B.S. | M.S (General Surgery) | M.Ch (Surgical Oncology) | FMAS
Dr. Senthil kumar is a well-qualified and immensely trained surgical oncologist. He completed his super speciality training (M.ch surgical oncology) from Tata Memorial Hospital (TMH), Mumbai. Apart from his 4 years of experience at TMH, he has also worked in some of research institutes like JIPMER, Pondicherry and Cancer Institute Adyar, Chennai. He has also obtained his fellowship in minimal access surgery. Dr. Senthil has completed his under graduation (MBBS) from Tuticorin Medical College, Tuticorin. He completed his general surgery training (M.S) from Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore. He has extensive training and experience in treating all types of malignancies like breast cancers, gynaecological cancers, gastrointestinal cancers, head and neck cancers, soft tissue cancers, urological cancers and thoracic cancers. His areas of special interest include breast, gynaec and gastrointestinal malignancies. He is an expert in the field of breast conservation surgery for cancer breast and has special expertise in oncoplastic procedures of breast. He also performs local flap reconstruction procedures of breast. Swelling of arm is a common disabling morbidity of axillary dissection following breast cancer surgery. He is one of few surgical oncologists in the country to advocate sentinel lymph node biopsies routinely for all early breast cancers. This helps patient to do all normal activities of arm right from first day of surgery. MIOT is a centre of excellence where such technologically advanced procedures can be done with ease. He routinely performs cytoreductive surgeries for cancer ovary and endometrium. He has special interest in laparoscopic gynaec oncologic procedures. He does fertility preserving cancer surgeries as and when possible. He specialises in the treatment of recurrent ovary cancers, where surgeries are extensive and requires multi organ resection. Surgery of cancers spread to peritoneum is technically demanding and exhaustive. He is one of the few surgical oncologists to practice complete peritonectomy and HIPEC treatment routinely for cancers spread to peritoneum. HIPEC is the last ray of hope for such patients and at MIOT we offer the best intensive care following HIPEC. His other area of excellence is in treatment of gastrointestinal (GI) cancers like oesophagus, pancreas, stomach, colon and rectum. He has keen interest in minimally invasive colorectal surgeries and sphincter preserving rectal cancer procedures. Even in advanced GI cancers with help of latest chemo and radiotherapy facilities at MIOT, tumour shrinkage is achieved and he does brilliant conservative surgeries for all types of cancers. He routinely performs all advanced and complex procedures like HIPEC, total exenteration of pelvis, retroperitoneal lymph node dissections(RPLND), esophagectomies, Whipple’s procedure, composite resections of oral cavity cancer to name a few. At MIOT, all these major procedures are performed with least morbidity and hence we have excellent cure rates. Achievements He is a university gold medallist in general surgery. He has also received distinctions in many subjects. He has published many original research articles in national and international journals. He has many oral and poster presentations at international conferences. He has authored book chapter about advanced pancreatic cancer resections. He is an active member of voice of tobacco victims (VOTV), a social welfare organisation which crusades against tobacco products. In the interest of public, MIOT routinely organises cancer awareness campaigns and screening programmes and he is a part of all these social activities. As a person dedicating his life to the quest of cancer, he firmly believes that cancer patients should face all their challenges with loads of self-confidence and positive attitude.
- Throat cancer
- Salivary gland tumors
- Thyroid cancer
- Most common cancer
- Common cancer in women
- Breast cyst
- Hepatic cancer
- Colon cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Bowel cancer
- Consultant, Surgical Oncologist, Cancer Institute Adyar, Chennai Senior President, Department of Surgical Oncology,, JIPMER, Pondicherry, 2012
- Senior Resident, Department of surgical oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, 2015
- Surgical Oncologist, Department of Surgical Oncology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, 2016 Consultant, MIOT International, Chennai
EducationM.B.B.S. | M.S (General Surgery) | M.Ch (Surgical Oncology) | FMAS
- M.ch (Surgical Oncology) (2012-2015) Tata Memorial Centre Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai
- M.S (General Surgery) (2007-2010) Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore The TamilNadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai
- M.B.B.S. (2000 – 2006) Thoothukudi Medical College,Thoothukudi. The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai
- Association of Surgeons of India (ASI)
- European Society of Surgical Oncologist(ESSO)
- Indian Association of Surgical Oncology (IASO)
- Association of Breast Surgeons of India(ABSI)
- Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India (AMASI)
- Association of Gynecologic Oncologists of India (AGOI).
Research / Publication
- 2007 – 2010 EFFICACY OF LOW LEVEL LASER THERAPY IN ULCER FOOT HEALING IN TYPE -2 DIABETIC PATIENTS”
- 2012 -2015 THE EFFICACY OF PET CT SCAN IN GUIDING DISEASE MANAGEMENT OPTIONS IN PATIENTS WITH LOCALISED OR LOCOREGIONALLY ADVANCED SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA[SCC] ESOPHAGUS
- 1. Ramkumar A1, Francis NJ, Senthil Kumar R, Dinesh Kumar S . Bipaddled submental artery flap. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012 Apr;41(4):458-60.
- 2. R. Senthilkumar, J. F. Neville, and R. Aravind. Malignant thyroglossal duct cyst with synchronous occult thyroid gland papillary carcinoma.Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Sep-Oct; 17(5): 936–938.
- 3. Senthil Kumar R, Ajay K Boralkar, Neha D Borde, Amol R Jadhav A rare case report of primary low grade endometrial stromal sarcoma (LGESS) of ovary infiltrating bladder . Ind J Gynaec oncology (accepted)
- 4. Chandra P, Nath S, Kumar S. Clinically Occult Rectal Carcinoma Identified in a Case of Streptococcus bovis Endocarditis on Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography: A Case Report and Review of Literature. Indian J Nucl Med. 2017 Oct-Dec;32(4):345-347. doi: 10.4103/ijnm
- 5. Textbook Chapter on Pancreaticoduodenectomy. Atlas of operative surgical oncology . Jiwnani et al. - Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers - 2017
- 1) EXPERIENCE WITH FUNCTIONAL NECK DISSECTION IN THYROID MALIGNANCY IN CMCH FROM 2002 - 2007. 8h Annual Conference of Indian Association of Endocrine Surgeons, SGPGI, Lucknow, Nov 22- 25th, 2007.
- 2) A PROFILE OF 1048 CONSECUTIVE CASES OF CARCINOMA BREAST TREATED AT COIMBATORE MEDICAL COLLEGE HOSPITAL FROM 2002 - 2007 - “DR.S.VITTAL’S BEST PAPER AWARD”. Indian Association of Endocrine Surgeons 67th Annual Conference of ASI, 2007, Bhubaneswar
- 1. A RETROSPECTIVE ANALYSIS OF LOCALLY ADVANCED TONGUE CANCERS TREATED WITH SURGERY – Best poster presentation award, Foundation of Head and neck Oncology, Chandigarh , India – 2014.
- 2.THE INCREMENTAL VALUE OF PET CT SCAN IN GUIDING DISEASE MANAGEMENT OPTIONS IN PATIENTS WITH LOCALISED OR LOCOREGIONALLY ADVANCED SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA[SCC] ESOPHAGUS – Biennial Joint Conference of ISMPO ISO , November 2015, Mumbai.