What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda integrates three different fundamental states within an individual involving physical (including physiological), mental, and spiritual beings. Ayurveda’s identification lies as the most formal healthcare system in the country. It provides several benefits that improve the patients’ health outcomes. Most patients tend to respond to ayurvedic treatments with the effect of reducing and terminating their symptoms. The patients most often undergo conventional medications as soon as they get their diagnosis. Therefore, ayurveda experts recommend carrying out integrating ayurvedic treatments alongside the conventional medical approaches. It reduces the symptoms, controls the disease progression, and effectively improves patients’ symptoms; by lowering their cortisone and analgesic usage, thus enhancing their quality of life.
How does Ayurveda help in cancer treatment
Surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy individually or with other therapies often treat the cancer patients. Some of the treatment approaches, such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy, show toxic effects and significant side effects, hindering the therapeutic schedule (Guillot et al., 2004). It deteriorates patients’ quality of life after getting treatment with such approaches; as the chemotherapy drugs and shows toxicity while evolving a depressed state of mind (Artherholt & Fann, 2012). For centuries in India, Ayurveda has demonstrated less toxicity and good acceptability among patients suffering from different illnesses, mainly caused by reduced immune responses. The well-being of the patients, which hinders due to chemotherapy toxicities, improves by integrating the use of Ayurveda.
Ayurveda experts have forumulated several ayurvedic drugs such as Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus, Linn), Ananta (Hemidesmus indicus, Linn), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera, Linn), Amalaki (Phyllanthus Emblica, Linn), etc. which shows effectiveness in cancer treatment. In fact, they recommend several ayurvedic drugs with different combinations for cancer in the form of adjunct therapy (Vyas et al., 2010). Ayurvedic other medicines such as s Mauktikyukta Praval Panchmrut and Mauktikyukta Kamdudha constitute medicinal properties; involving Chardighna (anti-emetic), Pittashamak (antacids), Raktashodhak (improving the quality of blood), Jvarahara (antipyretic) and Atisarahara (anti-diarrheal); helps in managing the toxicity of chemotherapy in cancer treatment. Some of the ayurvedic drugs, such as e Suvarna Basma, Mauktik Bhasma and Guduchi Sattva, help immune modulation and rejuvenation in cancer (Paul & Sharma, 2011).
The integration of ayurvedic approaches in cancer treatment effectively reduces the impact of several side effects among the patients. Patients have experienced the immediate relief from the symptoms of nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite; and early effects including diarrhoea, constipation, fatigue and myelosuppression. The delayed side effects of the drugs followed after completion of chemotherapy involve skin rashes, alopecia, fever, insomnia, resistance to communication and functional reluctance while long-term effects include neurological problems. Hence, Ayurveda has contributed to improving the quality of life of cancer patients after chemotherapy; while integrating adjunct treatment with herbs-mineral combinations.
The effectiveness of combinations of ayurvedic drugs in eliminating the complications of chemotherapy; choosing the appropriate combinations of ayurvedic medicines for implicating beneficial effects; and deciding the proper time of administration of ayurvedic medications during the period of chemotherapy. Most of the results of Ayurveda in cancer have shown advantages in reducing the side effects in patients and maintaining an excellent quality of life. The effectiveness of the combination of herbs-mineral ayurvedic drugs and metallic ayurvedic preparations is much better than only herbs-mineral Ayurvedic drugs. When started from the initial phase of cancer treatment, Ayurvedic treatment gives better results in improving patients’ lives.
In cases where biomedical treatment in cancer does not show any efficacy, the integration of the ayurvedic approach shows effectiveness; in strengthening digestion, eliminating toxins, reducing tumor growth, and improving tissue metabolism. It shows efficacy in restoring equilibrium, building mental and physical strength; and rejuvenating the patient’s body and mind while providing effective supportive care. The post-chemo and post-radiation reduce the physical and psychological power of the cancer patients during the treatment. Hence, it results in prolonged recovery; or the recovery is not easy in most cases due to the several side effects.
The use of Ayurveda helps in combating such health issues. Doctors recommend an appropriate diet for the patients involving the following pranayama, yoga, and meditation. Later on, they recommend the utilization of specific herbs and customized formulations. These herbal combinations of the ayurvedic approach strengthen the physical, mental, and immune systems. Doctors recommend these formulations as it affects different cancer type systems or dhatu. The study regarding ayurvedic longevity preparations, known as rasayanas, implicated that to minimize the toxicity of chemotherapy, and immune-modulating role is recommended to constitute a novel dimension to cancer treatment while moving forward toward new directions in cancer immunotherapy.
What to consider before buying Ayurveda
Catharanthus alba (Flower), Curcuma longa (Root), Ganoderma lucidum (Biomass), Ganoderma lucidum (Biomass), Moringa oleifera (Fruits), Nigella sativa (Seed), Picrorhiza kurroa (Root), Piper cubeba (Seed), Tribulus terrestris (Fruit), Withania somnifera (Root) are the most important herbs that help in the treatment of cancer. Before buying any Ayurveda medicine for cancer treatment, you must ensure that these above herbs are in it. The health benefits of these herbs in treatment of cancer are:
- Catharanthus alba (Flower): It is a type of herbaceous shrub with a height of up to 1 m tall. It is a dicotyledon flowering seed plant with the autotrophic mode of nutrition. The generic term Catharanthus stands for perfect flower, and alba stands for white, which refers to the flower color. It is one of the essential medicinal plant species which laboratory experts use in traditional herbal medicine across the globe. Its chemical extraction contributes to cancer treatment. The flower consists of chemical constituents, including limonene, phytol, and linolenic acid ethyl ester. It is traditionally in use for treating a whole range of ailments from diabetes to depression. The recent discovery has shown its efficacy in treating cancer while possessing cancer-fighting properties. Its extraction contains medicinal preparation, which is in use for the treatment of diarrhea, diabetes, malaria, and skin diseases.
- Curcuma longa (Root): It is a perennial flowering plant classified in the ginger family (Zingiberaceae) and is commonly used in Ayurveda. It is a herbaceous plant coming from Southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent and requires moderate temperatures and heavy annual rainfall to grow. Curcuma cultivations are among the oldest spice plants in this region of the world. The makers collect the rhizomes of Curcuma longa, and dry their roots. Later they ground them into an orange-yellow powder, turmeric and comes in use as a flavoring agent in curry and other Asian cuisines. Because of this process, turmeric in other words is turmeric root powder or Curcuma longa extract. Curcuma longa acts as a natural anti-inflammatory agent which helps in reducing inflammation. It also acts as a strong antioxidant that helps in boosting the immune system response while preventing disease. Curcuma longa plays an important role in preparation of medicines showing effectiveness in complementary treatment for cancer. It improves cognitive function and helps in managing the excess weight.
- Ganoderma lucidum (Biomass): It is commonly known as Reishi which is one of the primary herbs of choice in any immune deficiency disease. Ganoderma lucidum is a bitter-tasting fungus which shows efficacy in boosting the immune response. It possesses immunostimulating activities, as well as anti-inflammatory and antiallergenic properties. Ganoderma lucidum consists of more than 100 oxygenated triterpenes, most of which are responsible for affecting the activities of NK cells. People use it for the treatment of various infectious diseases involving bronchitis and hepatitis. It helps in phagocytosis, while increasing T-cell activity, which accounts for the viral hepatitis treatment. Reishi increases the efficacy of CD4 cells in vivo. People also use it as an effective antidepressant. It is an important ingredient in the treatment of androgen-induced diseases, including benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostate cancer.
- Ganoderma lucidum (Biomass): It is the soybean seeds which are drought-tolerant, nitrogen-fixing plants enriched within the soil. It is an important crop for the production of human food (through vegetable oil, seed-milk and derived products like tofu), animal feed (mainly for chicken and pork), and biofuel. It possesses cosmeceutical and dermatological benefits involving inflammatory, collagen-stimulating effect, potent anti-oxidant scavenging peroxyl radicals, skin lightening effect and protection against UV radiation.
- Moringa oleifera (Fruits): Or the drumstick tree, the miracle tree, the ben oil tree, or the horseradish tree, is in use as a medicinal plant providing several health benefits. Moringa oleifera consists of antifungal, antiviral, antidepressant, and anti-inflammatory properties. It consists of proteins, vitamins, and minerals. It possesses low fat components without containing any harmful cholesterol. Moringa oleifera is effective in protecting and nourishing skin and hair, resting edema, protecting the liver, treating cancer and fighting against bacterial infections.
- Nigella sativa (Seed): It is known as the black seed, which is a flowering plant native to Asia and the Mediterranean, and its seed is used for the preparation of medicines. It helps in boosting the immune system, fighting cancer, preventing pregnancy, reducing swelling, and reducing allergic reactions while acting as an antihistamine. The use of Nigella sativa shows effectiveness in protection against the damaged cells and reduces inflammation, improves blood sugar control, boosts the immune system, while keeping heart and brain healthy.
- Picrorhiza kurroa (Root): It is one of the oldest medicinal plants from the Himalayan mountains. The practitioners of ayurvedic medicine use its root and rhizome for the treatment of several diseases. People mainly use it for treating liver problems, fever, allergy, and other major conditions. It consists of chemicals that help stimulate the immune system while killing cancer cells and providing relief from inflammation (swelling).
- Piper cubeba (Seed): It is a type of medicinal herbal considered important in Ayurvedic pharmacopeia in the treating cough, swelling, dysmenorrhea, erectile dysfunction and indigestion.
- Tribulus terrestris (Fruit): It is a fruit-producing Mediterranean plant being covered with the spine. Its leaves, fruit, and roots are used as medicines. It is effective in enhancing athletic performance, bodybuilding, and treating the heart and circulatory conditions along with sexual issues. People use it as a dietary supplements rather than as a medicine.
- Withania somnifera (Root): It is an essential medicinal plant of the Indian subcontinent. It is used alone or sometimes combined with other herbs to treat numerous biological problems in humans. It possesses pharmacological properties, such as antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antistress, antitumor, neuroprotective, cardioprotective, and many more for use in the treatment of biological approaches.
AyurZen focuses on bringing the goodness of Ayurvedic medicines to cancer patients. Ayurveda originated in the ancient period of Indian medicine and has been recognized as an effective means of treatment through the centuries. People have used it as an anti-cancer remedy due to its in-built anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. AyurZen capsules are a pure blend of selected herbal flowers, roots, fruits and seeds. It is tolerated very well and is known to be an effective drug for prolonged use without adverse effects on health. Supplementing with other anti-cancer remedies, showing synergetic effect while attacking only the cancer cells without causing harm to the other body tissues AyurZen acts as a benefit in the cancer treatment. The nutritional contents of AyurZen include the combination of ten different types of herbs which possess medicinal properties for treatment of cancer.
Ayurveda is available on the ZenOnco website: