Head and Neck Cancer
What are the types of Head and Neck Cancer?
There are several different types of head and neck cancers that can arise, affecting the different parts of the head, neck, and throat listed above. Broadly, they can be classified as:
Throat cancer is a carcinoma that affects several parts of the throat, such as the pharynx, larynx, and tonsils. It can be further classified as
- Nasopharyngeal cancer: It is a type of cancer in which the cells of the nasopharynx become cancerous.
- Oropharyngeal cancer: This type of cancer affects the area in the throat that includes the tonsils.
- Hypopharyngeal cancer: Cancerous cells form in the hypopharynx (also known as laryngopharynx) which is the lower region of the pharynx just above the windpipes.
Laryngeal cancer affects the larynx or the voice box along with the vocal cords. They are further classified into
- Glottic cancer: This cancer affects the cells of the vocal cords.
- Supraglottic cancer: It affects the upper regions of the voice box and the cells of the epiglottis
- Subglottic cancer: The lower parts of the larynx just below the vocal cords are affected
3.Lip and oral cavity cancer:
It affects the squamous cells that line parts of the mouth that includes lips, mouth, gums and tongue, but it can go deeper into the inner tissues of the mouth.
It affects the areas near the nose, such as the nasal cavity as well as the paranasal cells of the sinuses.
4.Salivary gland cancer:
In salivary gland cancer, malignant cells form in the tissues of the salivary glands.