There often arises a question- should organic food be eaten during chemotherapy? Does it help in cancer prevention? First, let us understand what is ‘organic food’ and how it is produced?
Food that is produced by methods that follow the standards of organic farming is known as organic food. Organic farming standards vary across the globe. Organic farming consists of practices that promote ecological balance and conservation of biodiversity.
What is meant by organic food?
Organic food is the result of a farming system that does not use artificial pesticides, fertilizers, livestock feed additives, and growth regulators.
People who eat organic food are more likely to be physically active and follow a relatively healthy diet. All these factors may reduce the chances of getting cancer.
Organic Food and Cancer Prevention
Many people try to understand the theory between organic food and cancer prevention. Some believe that consuming organic food during chemotherapy help in faster recovery. Debates about their benefits are still ongoing. However, if what we mentioned above is ‘organic foods’, then,
What are inorganic foods?
The major differences between organic and inorganic food are as follows:
- Organic food is prepared without using synthetics like pesticides or chemical fertilizers. On the other hand, inorganic food uses synthetics to produce the final food product.
- In addition to the above fact, organic food items are never genetically modified. Organic food does not contain chemical solvents or food additives.
- The organic farming process that is adopted is good for the environment. Synthetic fertilizers and pesticides that are used in the production of inorganic food can harm the local wildlife.
- It has been observed that organic food uses less energy and produces less waste compared to inorganic food.
- Consumers of organic food items also benefit due to lesser exposure to harmful chemicals and synthetics. The synthetic items might have some impact on the long-term health of the consumers. As part of palliative care, some patients are advised to eat organic food.
- Several studies indicate that organic foods carry more nutrients than inorganic food.
Is it difficult to procure organic foods?
Organic food is now easily available in all the grocery shops and it is not very costly now. Nowadays, stores offering organic and natural food are scattered around most cities. These stores promote a healthier lifestyle by providing healthy and organic food. Eating a variety of fruits and vegetables every day reduces the probability of being affected by various types of cancer.
Organic food during Chemotherapy
After a diagnosis of cancer, most people worry about how to maintain their health. Cancer treatment can make the patient feel that he has lost all control over his health and body. Most patients are willing to do whatever it takes to fight and beat cancer.
Organic food does not play a major role in cancer prevention but it helps to makes in healthy living. Patients undergoing chemotherapy might think that eating organic will keep their bodies as healthy as they can. Although eating organic food is always a better option compared to non-organic food, yet it might not serve as a magic pill against cancer.
Generally, organic foods contain lower levels or no pesticides or chemicals. This is not the case in non-organic foods. However, there is no concrete evidence to assert that organic food improves the outlook of patients undergoing cancer treatment.
Best Organic Products in India for Chemotherapy
Eating organic food has also become a part of preventive care, causing its increased adoption by the Indian population. Organic vegetables like tomatoes, spinach, capsicum, and carrot top the list with a 68% consumption rate. This category of fruits (organic fruits) like mangoes, bananas, and apples stand second with a consumption of 52% of organic food items.
Organic pulses account for 51% of consumption by the consumers in India. The organically grown pulses are enriched with higher nutritional elements.
Due to many health benefits of organic food, India sees a great increase in demand for healthy food items. It is now easily available everywhere.