What is Meningioma

Central nervous system

The Central Nervous System is also known as the CNS. Altogether, it comprises the brain and the spinal cord. It significantly controls a majority of the vital functions of the body. The medical practitioner considers how a person’s thought process, movements, and senses before considering and planning treatment for a tumor in the central nervous system as it may be affected by the tumour and the treatment options. 

Meningioma – Few Definitions.

Meningiomas are widespread intracranial tumors that are typically benign and grow slowly. However, ionizing radiation has been identified as the only environmental risk factor with an unknown source. Meningiomas can arise from any of the dural layers. But, the symptoms and signs change depending on the location of the tumor. The majority of meningiomas are asymptomatic and do not necessitate surgical excision. Meningothelial meningioma is the most prevalent subtype. Atypical meningiomas are grade II tumors that account for 20-30% of all meningiomas. Anaplastic meningiomas are malignant grade III tumors that kill patients within 2 to 5 years. Overall, meningiomas differ from other types of tumors in that they are more common in females than in males. 

A meningioma is a tumor that starts from the meninges that are the membranes that surround the brain and also the spinal cord. However, it is technically not a brain tumor. It i in this category because it compresses and squeezes the adjacent brain, nerves, and vessels. Meningioma is the most familiar type of tumor that forms in the head.

Additional Information

A Tumor develops when healthy cells alter and grow uncontrollably, generating a mass or a lump. However, tumor might be malignant or non-cancerous. A cancerous tumor, in general, is malignant, which means it can spread or grow into other sections or parts of the body. A benign tumor can grow but does not generally spread. This guide is about meningioma. It is a slow-growing tumor that grows on the brain’s surface. It can produce severe symptoms if it expands and presses on the brain or spinal cord. Meningioma begins in the meningeal tissues, which are thin membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord. The dura mater, arachnoid, and pia mater are the three meningeal layers.

Approximately 80% of meningiomas are benign. The remaining 20% are atypical because they are more likely to recur after therapy or malignant in sporadic cases. Anaplastic meningioma is a kind of malignant meningioma. 

Most meningiomas are incidentally discovered on CT scans or MRI scans performed for other indications or any signs. CT is well suited to demonstrate effects on the adjacent bone, such as hyperostosis associated with benign meningiomas or bone destruction associated with atypical meningiomas. Sixty per cent of meningiomas are spontaneously hyperdense, up to 20% contain calcification, and enhancement is usually intense and uniform.

Subtypes of meningioma

Doctors frequently categorize Meningioma based on its origin in the central nervous system. 

Falx and parasagittal meningioma – The falx is a membrane located between the left and right halves of the brain. It protects the brain by restricting a big blood artery. Parasagittal meningioma develops at the apex of the falx, just inside the skull. These are the most frequent forms of meningiomas, accounting for around 25% of all the other meningiomas. 

Convexity meningioma – This type or form of meningiomas develops on the brain’s other surface. It accounts for around 20% of all meningiomas. 

Sphenoid meningioma – Behind the eyes is the sphenoidal ridge. This type or kind of meningiomas accounts for 20% of all meningiomas.

Olfactory groove meningioma – This form develops close to the nerves that connect the brain to the nose. It accounts for 10% of all meningiomas.

Posterior fossa meningioma – The meningioma of the posterior fossa grows at the rear of the brain. It accounts for 10% of all meningiomas. 

Suprasellar meningioma – Suprasellar meningioma develops near the sella turcica. The pituitary gland is located near the base of the skull in the centre of the skull. This accounts for about 10% of all meningiomas. 

Spinal meningioma – Spinal meningioma typically develops in the spine at the chest level and may press against the spinal cord. It can cause pain to radiate along the chest wall, urinary problems, limb weakness or any signs of numbness. This kind accounts for fewer than 10% of all meningiomas. 

Intraorbital meningioma – This type of meningioma forms in or near the eye sockets. It accounts for less than 10% of all meningiomas. 

Intraventricular meningioma – Intraventricular meningioma develops and matures in the fluid-filled chambers that run throughout the brain. This kind accounts for roughly around 2% of all meningiomas.