Statistics of Lacrimal Gland Tumor

Executive Summary

Around 55% of epithelial lacrimal gland tumor cases are considered benign, and the rest, 45%, are malignant. About 2% of all eye socket/orbital tumors are considered malignant epithelial lacrimal gland tumors. Among epithelial orbital cancers, Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma (ACC) is the most common form, accounting for around 60% of malignant lacrimal gland tumors. People aged 40 years are considered the average age of diagnosis of Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma (ACC) and Lacrimal Gland tumors. In the case of lacrimal gland lymphomas, the average age of diagnosis is considered 70. The estimated 15-year survival rate is considered to be 25%. The 10-year survival rate of a patient with adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) of the lacrimal gland is estimated at around 20-30%.

Statistics of Lacrimal Gland Tumor

A lacrimal gland tumor is a rare form of tumor. If we take a yearly worldwide statistics of lacrimal gland tumor, the chance of people contracting this tumor is only one in millions.

Around 55% of epithelial lacrimal gland tumor cases are considered benign, and the rest 45% is deemed to be malignant ​1​. About 2% of all eye socket/orbital tumors are considered malignant epithelial lacrimal gland tumors. Among epithelial orbital cancers, Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma (ACC) is the most common form, accounting for around 60% of malignant lacrimal gland tumors.

People belonging to all age group is at risk of lacrimal gland tumor. But 40 years is considered the average age of diagnosis of Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma (ACC) and Lacrimal Gland tumors. In the case of lacrimal gland lymphomas, the average age of diagnosis is considered 70.

The survival rate of any tumor or cancerous growth depends on the type, stage, grade and subtypes of the tumor. Treatment and cure will also depend on the tumor’s location and nature(benign/aggressive/malignant/metastatic). The 15-year survival rate gives information regarding what percentage of people survive for at least 15 years after being diagnosed with cancer. In the case of lacrimal gland tumors, the estimated 15-year survival rate is considered to be 25% ​2​. But this calculation can vary since the condition of the disease depends on several factors. For instance, the 10-year survival rate of a patient with adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) of the lacrimal gland is estimated at around 20-30%. Patients are encouraged to have open talks with their doctor or health care team. Ask them about what to expect regarding your disease diagnosis.

It is essential to note that the figures mentioned in this article concerning the survival rate of people with lacrimal gland tumors are an estimate (that can change at any point in time). The estimate is made based on the annual data of people contracted with lacrimal gland tumors in the United States. Also, the estimates can be measured using 5-year survival data. Please talk with your care provider to better understand the disease, its prevalence, treatment, and cure.

References

  1. 1.
    Andreoli MT, Aakalu V, Setabutr P. Epidemiological Trends in Malignant Lacrimal Gland Tumors. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Published online November 10, 2014:279-283. doi:10.1177/0194599814556624
  2. 2.
    Mallen-St. Clair J, Arshi A, Tajudeen B, Abemayor E, St John M. Epidemiology and Treatment of Lacrimal Gland Tumors. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Published online December 1, 2014:1110. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2014.2846