Open communication with the doctor and healthcare team is crucial in making informed treatment (Lacrimal Gland Tumor) and health care choices. Patients are encouraged to ask questions regarding their disease condition. They should clear any doubt or query that they have regarding the disease.
Below is a list of questions patients can ask their doctor or health care team. The questions cover all aspects of the Lacrimal Gland tumor, from disease diagnosis to treatment and follow-up care.
Questions to ask regarding the disease diagnosis:
- What is my Lacrimal Gland tumor diagnosis? Could you explain it in detail?
- What is the type of tumor that has been diagnosed? Is it cancerous or not?
- If the tumor growth is benign, is there a possibility that it will turn malignant in the future?
- Could you explain my laboratory test results or pathology report in detail?
- What is the tumor stage and grade? And what does that mean?
- When should I start the treatment? Is it required right away?
Questions to ask regarding choosing the treatment plan:
- What are the available treatment options for my disease condition?
- What is your experience in treating people with this type of tumor?
- Am I eligible to try clinical trials? Where are they located, and how can I learn and know more about them?
- Which treatment plan do you recommend and why?
- Are there any advantages of combining surgical procedures, chemo and radiation therapies? Can this treatment plan be effective in my case?
- Could you explain in detail the goal of each treatment option? Is it to destroy the tumour, help me feel better, or both?
- Could this treatment affect my vision? If so, how and for how long?
- Who will all be part of my healthcare team? Could you explain the duty of each member?
- Who will lead the treatment?
- Should I get a second opinion regarding treatment? Could you help me in getting one?
- What is my chance of recovery if I follow this particular treatment option?
- Whom or where should I contact in case of any queries or doubts regarding treatment?
- Who can help me to manage the costs related to cancer care?
- Are there any support services available for my family and me? If so, how can I avail them?
- Am I required to know anything more regarding the treatment?
Questions to ask regarding managing and relieving side effects:
- What are the possible long-term and short-term side effects of the treatment?
- Will this treatment affect my daily life? If so, in what ways? Will it interfere with my ability to work, exercise and perform usual routines?
- What are the possible ways to manage and relieve the side effects effectively?
Questions to ask regarding surgical procedures:
- What kind of surgical procedures be required to treat my disease condition?
- Will lymph nodes be removed during the surgery?
- What is the expected duration of the surgical procedure?
- How long will I need to spend in the hospital?
- Could you describe in detail what my recovery from surgery would look like?
- Are there any side effects associated with this surgical procedure? Explain both long term and short-term side effects.
- Who will be performing the surgery? Is the person performing the procedure experienced in treating such tumors?
- Could you recommend an experienced surgeon?
- How can you say that the entire tumor mass was removed during the surgical procedure?
- Will the surgery affect my vision, and if so, for how long?
- What all changes should I expect post-surgery?
- Would there be any physical changes?
- Will I need plastic surgery afterwards?
- Will I be required to see an anaplastologist (a person who works with the surgery team to reconstruct the face) or an ocularist (a person who makes prosthetic eyes) after surgery?
Questions to ask regarding an eye removed as part of treatment:
- What should I expect after one of my eyes is removed?
- How do I adjust to using one eye to see things?
- What will be the duration of recovery?
- Are any rehabilitation services available? If yes, how do I find them?
- What are the available rehabilitation services?
- How soon can I get an artificial eye or a prosthesis?
- Can I get a permanent prosthesis? If yes, when?
- How should I care for my prosthesis? Could you give guidance?
Question to ask regarding various therapies like chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or immunotherapy:
- Which therapy would you recommend and why?
- Could you explain the goal of each therapy?
- What are all preparations required on my part before beginning the treatment?
- How long will it take to carry out this treatment?
- How will this treatment affect my ability to see?
- What are the possible short-term and late side effects that I should expect during treatment?
- What can all be done to manage and relieve these side effects?
Questions to ask regarding follow-up care:
- What is the chance of this tumor recurring back in the body?
- What all signs and symptoms should I watch for?
- Will the follow-up care focus on managing and eliminating the side effects of treatment?
- What type of tests and scans be required during follow-up check-ups? How often will I need them?
- Can I get a treatment summary and survivorship care plan to keep in my records for future reference?
- Who will coordinate my follow-up care?
- Are there any survivorship support services available to my family and me?