There is no clear-cut preventive measure to curb kidney cancer. Also, some kidney cancers may result from underlying genetic conditions, hence they cannot be prevented. An individual can lower the risk of developing cancers in the kidney by following a healthy lifestyle and avoiding risky behaviors. People may also seek the help of health professionals to learn about the various measures to prevent kidney cancers and the various risk factors. Some preventive measures for kidney cancer include quitting smoking, tobacco use, and drugs, lowering blood pressure, maintaining healthy body weight, eating a healthy balanced diet, limiting chemical exposure, regular exercise, limiting the intake of alcohol, and routine medical check-ups and care.
Prevention of Kidney Cancer
Different factors are responsible for causing kidney cancer. Researchers are analyzing how these factors cause cancer and ways to prevent it. There is no clear-cut preventive measure to curb kidney cancers. Also, some kidney cancers may result from underlying genetic conditions, hence they cannot be prevented.
Still, a person can lower their risk of developing cancers in the kidney by following a healthy lifestyle and avoiding the risk factors. People can seek the help of health professionals to learn different measures to prevent kidney cancers. People should also consult the healthcare team to know more about their risk of developing cancer. Listed below are some cancer or tumor preventive measures or tips one can follow to lead a cancer-free, healthy lifestyle.
Ways to lower the risk of kidney cancers
- Quit smoking, tobacco use, and drugs: Tobacco usage is considered the primary reason for kidney disorders. Quitting tobacco and drug use can lower the risk. If you find it challenging to quit smoking or any form of tobacco use, you can also consult a qualified medical professional who can suggest ways to quit the use and control the urge.
- Lowering blood pressure: High blood pressure can increase the risk of kidney cancer. Lowering blood pressure by seeking adequate medical assistance and following a healthy lifestyle is essential to preventing kidney cancer.
- Maintaining a healthy body weight: Obesity is considered a high-risk factor for causing kidney cancers and other disorders. Hence, maintaining a healthy weight is essential in leading a disease-free life. Eat light as per your body requirement, rather than indulging in junk food. Obesity stands as the foremost reason for most kinds of diseases. Controlling body weight can increase life efficiency.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet: Eating a nutritious, balanced diet is vital to preventing most diseases. To prevent kidney disorders, people should eat diets high in vegetables, fruits, and low-fat food items. Eating a balanced diet is essential in maintaining our overall well-being. Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Avoid refined, oily, and charred foods. Including whole grains, pulses, and nuts in your diet can also be a healthy option. Limit the intake of processed meat.
- Limiting chemical exposure: Limiting exposure to chemicals like trichloroethylene at work may also reduce the risk for renal cell carcinoma.
- Limit the intake of alcohol: Limit the intake of alcohol or altogether quit the habit of drinking. Drinking can cause adverse effects on health. So, controlling it is essential to lead a healthy, productive life.
Regular medical check-ups and Care
Regular self-examinations and screenings can help people to detect cancers early. People need to carry out a complete body check-up at least twice a year. People should observe their bodies and closely look for changes, signs, or symptoms of any disease. If a person experiences any signs or symptoms, they should not hesitate to consult a doctor and get a proper diagnosis. It is important to ask questions and clear their doubts regarding any medical condition or disease. Being physically active and fit can also help people lead a healthy, cancer-free lifestyle. Exercising regularly can help control body weight and improve the quality of life. People can practice simple exercises, yoga, and meditation daily to decrease their cancer risk and many other lifestyle diseases.
- 1.Tahbaz R, Schmid M, Merseburger AS. Prevention of kidney cancer incidence and recurrence. Current Opinion in Urology. Published online January 2018:62-79. doi:10.1097/mou.0000000000000454