Gastrointestinal stromal tumor is diagnosed based on their symptoms. So, the signs and symptoms of gastrointestinal stromal tumor experienced by the individuals help describe a medical problem. Some of the common symptom of gastrointestinal stromal tumor include the pain or discomfort in the abdomen, nausea and vomiting, blood in the stool, mass in the abdomen. It takes place due to anemia caused by bleeding in the GI tract.
Signs and Symptoms of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor
People with a Gastrointestinal stromal tumor often don’t experience any specific signs or symptoms. When symptoms occur, they may be vague. Also, the cause of a symptom can be a different medical condition that is not a tumor 1.
- Pain or discomfort in the abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
- Blood in the stool
- A mass in the abdomen, you can feel it by hand
- Bowel obstruction
- Fatigue due to anemia, which is a low red blood cell count. It’s main cause is blood in the GI tract
Mainly, people do not experience any particular symptoms with GIST. It is often discovered during a medical examination due to abdominal pain, chronic anaemia, or gastrointestinal bleeding, or on imaging tests done for another reason 2.
If you are worried about any changes you experience, please talk to the doctor.
- 1.Menge F, Jakob J, Kasper B, Smakic A, Gaiser T, Hohenberger P. Clinical Presentation of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors. Visc Med. Published online 2018:335-340. doi:10.1159/000494303
- 2.Parab TM, DeRogatis MJ, Boaz AM, et al. Gastrointestinal stromal tumors: a comprehensive review. J Gastrointest Oncol. Published online February 2018:144-154. doi:10.21037/jgo.2018.08.20