Executive Summary of Eyelid Cancer
Most of the causes of eyelid cancer are due to risk factors. Preventive measures need to be taken on same. Some of the preventive measures include wearing hats with at least a 3-inch brim to block up to half of the UVB rays from the eyes and eyelids, choosing sunglasses with lenses that block 99% to 100% of UVA and UVB radiation, using sunscreens and moisturizers of SPF 30 or higher for daily use. Another preventive measure for eyelid includes quitting smoking, avoiding alcohol, and keeping stress levels low.
Prevention for Eyelid Cancer
Most people with risk factors never develop eyelid cancer. But, some people who do not have these factors can still get this type of skin cancer. We suggest the following products to help prevent eyelid cancer 1:
- Hats– Wear a hat with at least a 3-inch brim to block up to half of the UVB rays from the eyes and eyelids. Some hats are made from sun-protective materials and rated with an SPF value like sunscreen.
- Sunglasses – Choose those with lenses that block 99% to 100% of UVA and UVB radiation. The bigger the sunglasses, the more area of skin they can protect. Look for wraparound types with UV-protective sides.
- Sunscreens and moisturizers – Some of these products are non-irritating because they are made especially for the eye. See SPF 30 or higher for daily use.
Other ways to avoid eyelid cancer include:
- Don’t smoke- If you currently smoke, talk to a medical professional to help you quit.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Keep stress levels low.
- 1.Cheung JJC, Esmaeli B, Lam SC, Kwok T, Yuen HKL. The practice patterns in the management of sebaceous carcinoma of the eyelid in the Asia Pacific region. Eye. Published online April 5, 2019:1433-1442. doi:10.1038/s41433-019-0432-0