US Brand Name(s) of Mercaptopurine: Purinethol, Purixan
Use in Cancer Treatment
Mercaptopurine is for usage in combination with other medications to treat:
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) is a kind of leukemia that affects children (ALL).
- Adults and children take it as a maintenance treatment.
Mercaptopurine is also under research for use in the treatment of various cancers.
Detailed scientific definition- Definition from the NCI Drug Dictionary
Mercaptopurine Facts on MedlinePlus
A summary of key information regarding this medication in layman’s terms, which may contain the following:
- Cautions about this medicine
- What is the use and how?
- Whom should you consult before taking it?
- What you should know about it before using it?
- Other drugs that might interact with it
- Possible negative effects
Drugs are frequently under research to see whether they can assist treat or prevent conditions other than those already prevalent. This patient information leaflet covers uses which have been under authorization. Much of the material, though, might also apply to authorized uses that are being investigated.