Several research studies have been conducted to seek more information on Astrocytoma, their related prevention method, their diagnostic approach at the initial phase, and the best treatments strategies, mainly among children. Surgeons are developing and improving imaging tools to better determine the tumor’s position. These strategies effectively decrease the damage to the CNS’s healthy portions during this cancer treatment. Conformal radiation treatment is being used for assisting doctors. The latest research on targeted therapy is conducted to treat Astrocytoma with specific genetic alterations. Immunotherapy shows the efficacy and safety of medications for children with high-grade and low-grade this tumour. Clinical trials are currently being conducted to find new ways to reduce the symptoms and side effects of current astrocytoma treatments and improve patient comfort and quality of life.
Advances in Astrocytoma
Under the Astrocytoma research, Doctors are trying to figure out more about this sort of CNS tumors in children. It includes how to prevent it and how to care for children who have been diagnosed with Astrocytoma in the best way possible 1. Clinical trials may provide new alternatives for patients in the following research areas. Always consult with your child’s doctor to determine the best diagnostic and treatment choices for Astrocytoma.
Imaging and surgery procedures have improved
Surgeons are developing and improving imaging tools to better determine the tumor’s position. These strategies can help decrease or avoid damage to the CNS’s healthy portions during cancer treatment.
- The brain areas that control speech, hearing, vision, touch, and movement are identified using functional MRI (fMRI). Every person’s particular location for these functions is slightly different. Surgeons can design surgery around these locations using functional MRI for Astrocytoma.
- Using 3-dimensional outlines of the brain and the tumor, image-guided stereotaxis allows surgeons to visualize and operate on the brain. Together with specialist software, these photos aid the surgeon in locating the tumor. This method can typically remove tumors that were previously thought to be inoperable.
Improved methods for administering radiation therapy
Conformal radiation treatment is a technique for directly delivering large doses of radiation to a tumor while sparing healthy tissue. This method creates comprehensive 3-dimensional brain and tumor maps. These maps assist doctors in determining where the radiation therapy should be directed for Astrocytoma 2.
Treatments depend on the tumor’s molecular characteristics
Researchers are investigating targeted therapy to treat Astrocytoma with specific genetic alterations 3. Under Astrocytoma research, the Researchers are explicitly looking for novel drugs that target abnormalities in the BRAF gene.
Researchers are investigating how effective and safe these medications are for children with high-grade and low-grade Astrocytoma.
Supportive care/palliative care
Clinical trials are currently being conducted to find new ways to reduce the symptoms and side effects of current astrocytoma treatments to improve patient comfort and quality of life.
- 1.Wen P, Fine H, Black P, Shrieve D, Alexander E, Loeffler J. High-grade astrocytomas. Neurol Clin. 1995;13(4):875-900. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8584002
- 2.Reardon D, Rich J, Friedman H, Bigner D. Recent advances in the treatment of malignant astrocytoma. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24(8):1253-1265. doi:10.1200/JCO.2005.04.5302
- 3.van den, Chinot O, Cairncross J. Recent developments in the molecular characterization and treatment of oligodendroglial tumors. Neuro Oncol. 2003;5(2):128-138. doi:10.1215/s1522-8517-02-00028-5