Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Cancer treatments result into causing various side effects and alterations to the patient’s body. The results of treatment show variations as per the individuals. Sometimes the same treatment strategy used for a particular disease condition evolves different effects. Hence, it is difficult for predicting the outcome and impact of a specific treatment on people. Therefore, coping-up strategies are adopted to mitigate the treatment’s side effects. Open communication with the expert regarding new signs or symptoms experienced by the patients helps plan ways to effectively manage and relieve these symptoms and side effects. The patients can seek professional therapies for mitigating the adverse emotional impacts during Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Cancer treatment. Several services and packages can help patients manage their treatment costs without much worry or tension. Caregivers play a significant role in caring for a person suffering from Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Cancer. Effective communication of the patient with the healthcare team is maintained regarding the side effects by implicating related questions.
Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Cancer Treatment can cause various side effects and alterations to your body. The outcome of treatment varies from person to person. Sometimes the same treatment strategy used for a particular type of cancer creates different effects. Hence it is hard to predict the outcome and impact of a specific treatment on people.
Patients can feel anxious about cancer treatment, and it is pretty natural. Side effects- short term or long term are an inevitable part of cancer treatment and cure. Patients must know that managing and relieving symptoms and side effects is integral to active cancer treatment. The health care team will devise strategies to prevent and cure possible side effects of treatment. And this is what is called supportive or palliative care. It is an essential, inevitable part of treatment, regardless of cancer type, stage, grade, age or gender.
Coping with the physical side effects of Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Cancer Treatment
Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma treatment can cause many physical side effects. It can bring a range of changes to your body. The variations in a person’s physical health are influenced by the type of adenocarcinoma, stage, grade, treatment strategy used, the duration of treatment, and the patient’s overall health condition. Patients should talk with their healthcare team regularly regarding how they are feeling. Make sure to let them know about any discomfort you are experiencing. Openly communicate any new signs or symptoms to your doctor when you start sharing them. The same applies to the case of any new or a change in existing side effects. Talking with your doctor or healthcare team is vital, as only then they can plan ways to manage and relieve these symptoms and side effects effectively. Treating side effects and signs at the right time prevents the patient’s condition from worsening and helps them lead a comfortable life. Please keep track of anybody changes or side effects that you experience, as it will help you explain the scenario more effortlessly to the health care team.
Physical side effects can be short term and long-term. Long term side effects or late effects can last for an extended period, even after the active treatment period. Treating these late effects forms a vital part of the survivorship care plan.
Coping with social and emotional effects of Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma cancer treatment
Cancer and its treatment can take a tremendous toll on a person’s physical and mental well-being. Patients may experience many social and emotional effects after being diagnosed with cancer (here, Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma). People will go through a lot of emotional mental turmoil. They will find it tedious to manage emotions like grief, sadness, anger, anxiety 1,2. They will find it difficult to calm their mind and manage their stress level. Often people find it difficult to express their feelings and emotions to their close ones. In such cases, patients can seek professional therapies. Talking with a counsellor or oncology social worker can also help effectively cope with the emotional effects of cancer.
Managing the costs of Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Cancer care
Cancer treatment can be financially straining. This thought can create a lot of stress and anxiety in the patients and their family members. For many people, finance stands as a hindrance in seeking cancer treatment.
Some patients find that they had a lot of unplanned, extra expenses concerning their treatment. And some people are forced to leave the treatment plan halfway because of being unable to manage the enormous cost. And such scenarios can have a very adverse impact on the patient’s health and life. Hence, patients are encouraged to talk about their financial troubles with a concerned health care team member 3. Today many services and packages can help cancer patients to manage their treatment costs without much worry or tension.
Role of Caregivers
Caregivers play a significant role in caring for a person suffering from Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma. Caregivers usually include family and friends who stand by the patients from the beginning, i.e., from cancer diagnosis and treatment until post-treatment care (sometimes even after that).
Caregivers have a range of responsibilities to manage and fulfil daily:
- Giving emotional and physical support to the patients. Encouraging them to do activities. Cheering them up.
- Communicate with the health care team. Caregivers are urged to accompany the patients during appointments and keep track of everything the doctor prescribes and advice.
- Giving food and medicines on time.
- Help patients cope with various symptoms and side effects.
- They should coordinate the patient’s appointments with the health care team.
- Managing the transport of the patient for appointments.
- Handling financial aspects like bills and insurance.
- Helping the patient with household chores and other daily activities.
Communication with the health care team regarding side effects
Open conversations with the doctor are essential in treating and curing ACC or any cancer. Patients are encouraged to ask the health care team or doctor questions regarding the side effects of Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma treatment. They can ask:
- What are the probable side effects of the treatment?
- Explain the short term and long-term side effects?
- When are these side effects likely to happen, and for how long?
- How can we prevent, manage and relieve them?
Be sure to communicate any change that you are experiencing. Patients should care to express even the tiniest effects or feelings that they are experiencing to the healthcare team.
Seek their help to create a caregiving plan. Enquire how much care and support (physical, mental) you will require at home. Don’t hesitate to ask anything that comes to your mind regarding treatment, side effects or post-treatment care.
- 1.Iftikhar A, Islam M, Shepherd S, Jones S, Ellis I. Cancer and Stress: Does It Make a Difference to the Patient When These Two Challenges Collide? Cancers. Published online January 6, 2021:163. doi:10.3390/cancers13020163
- 2.Sakamoto R, Koyama A. Effective Therapy Against Severe Anxiety Caused by Cancer: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Cureus. Published online June 2, 2020. doi:10.7759/cureus.8414
- 3.Carrera PM, Kantarjian HM, Blinder VS. The financial burden and distress of patients with cancer: Understanding and stepping-up action on the financial toxicity of cancer treatment. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. Published online January 16, 2018:153-165. doi:10.3322/caac.21443